Tuesday 10 July 2012

Reflecting on the Introductory exercises.

The main thing that I've got out of the introductory exercises is how little I knew about the technicalities of taking a picture. This is the side of photography that has always put me off a bit so it has been daunting to actually tackle it head on.
Although I was using manual mode on my camera and taking some quite successful photos prior to starting TAOP it was by fiddling with the knobs and dials until I got the effect that I wanted. Now I have scraped a bit of understanding of how the features work together so that it's possible to plan an outcome more effectively. Obviously I need to work hard on this and continue reading around the subject whilst applying the theory to my photography practise.

I must admit to finding subects for the exercise frustrating and I've realised that I generally photograph the things that I find attractive only at certain times when the light is best, usually at dawn and twilight and in good weather. However if I'd waited for these moments I'd simply never have completed the exercises and I really struggled with taking boring photos for them. I don't want to continue in that mode for the rest of the module and see that the course-book suggestion of noting down suitable subects is good, useful advice that I must confess to having ignored so far. From now I will certainly take it on board.

For more random thoughts on completing the introduction go to my journal (click here) and scroll down to the entry '11/06/2012  At Last!' Hopefully at some point I'll learn how to insert a direct text link but after hours of trawling through Blogger Help I'm still in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment