Tuesday 10 July 2012

Exercise - Fitting the frame to the subject.

The student is instructed to take four photographs of an object ensuring that it fits into the frame in different ways.
The first photo is to be of the composition and framing that I would have normally chosen.

The second one is to tightly fit the subject to the frame.

The third is to be taken so closely to the subject that just a part of it is revealed.

And for the final one the subject is to be just a small part of the overall composition.

The student is then instructed to assess different cropping possibilities to give alternative pictures.





Reflection on Exercise - Fitting the frame to the subject.

This is a subject that I'm familiar with although again the poor weather drove me indoors to have to use a fairly uninspiring subject. I found this one a little contrived because the exercise asked that I take the first photo as I normally would, giving little thought to fitting the subject to the frame or the composition. In fact I generally do think about both of these issues when taking a photograph so I had to actually try not to, which didn't come naturally. Also the course text wasn't specific about which photo to crop from but I thought it meant the final photo which in my case is too distant to get a decent crop from.

I enjoy capturing everyday scenes from unusual angles and cropping as can be seen in my blog header. The main thing I gained from this exercise was more practice in photographing indoors in dull light which can only help. 


No comments:

Post a Comment